Access & Download
Access the 100 Essential Blog Posts by clicking on a category link below, or download the complete list as PDF file.
- General SourcingGeneral Sourcing
8 Articles about Sourcing in General
- DON’T buy from China if you fit this description
- What I told CNN about China sourcing
- Insider’s look at the impact of the economic slowdown, rising costs & payment issues when China sourcing
- These middlemen think you are stupid!
- Heavy hitters weigh in on future of China Sourcing
- Reports of China’s death as a sourcing destination are still highly exaggerated
- What to do when a pissed off supplier and his thugs camp out in your China purchasing office
- Why suppliers intentionally ship defective products?
- Scams in ChinaScams in China
6 Articles About Common Scams in China
- Will the Embassy help me get my money back from a supplier who cheated me?
- VAT scams exposed
- Genuine products from China?
- I think I’ve been scammed for several thousand dollars. What do I do?
- How to Protect Yourself from this China Sourcing Scam Epidemic
- Factory email hacked. 29K USD stolen from buyer. How to avoid it happening to you
- Safe Payment PracticesSafe Payment Practices
5 Articles About Safe Payment Practices
14 Articles About VAT
- What is VAT and why should I worry about it?
- VAT rebate differences between trading and manufacturing companies
- With multiple contracts, how is the VAT and VAT rebate processed among multiple parties?
- When does it make sense to process Chinese VAT rebates in-house?
- VAT taxes paid on Incoterms CIF or DDP
- VAT rebate on sales to China?
- VAT Leak: Selling a made-in-China product to a China based customer
- Crash course in Chinese VAT
- Our supplier won’t give us the discount for VAT
- Confusion about VAT…Where does it go? What should I expect?
- On direct exports from China, does the foreign buyer need to pay VAT tax?
- Does VAT apply to tooling for customer owned tools, purchased from a supplier in China?
- Can My China VAT Offset My UK VAT?
- 3rd Party Assembly and VAT planning
- Exclusivity & Distributor AgreementsExclusivity Agreements
3 Articles About Exclusivity & Distributor Agreements
- Contracts & Legal IssuesContracts & Legal Issues
9 Articles About Contracts & Legal Issues
- How can I protect the quality of my product with a contract?
- Are Bilingual Contracts Necessary?
- 7 items you probably forgot to put in your contract with the factory.
- Does the NDA protect me? Will my ideas be stolen?
- Why your Chinese supplier(s) break the terms of your Purchase Order (PO)
- Learn from this foreigner buyer’s experience with Chinese courts
- Resolving a dispute: Demand letters and legal options
- Chinese-Foreign Lawsuits on the rise in China
- What to expect from the courts when things go bad
- Intellectual PropertyIntellectual Property
11 Articles about Intellectual Property in China
- Michael Jordan forgets to register his IP. Learn how not to make the same mistake.
- If your IP is being violated, it is most likely taking place in these 9 hotbeds of illegal activity.
- Gray Channels. What they are, Why it hurts, What to do About it.
- Quality Control and Design Security
- Case study: fight gray channel imports, protect your brand & revenue
- How to register, protect and monitor intellectual property
- Cultural element to intellectual property theft in China?
- Land Rover fails to register their IP (lessons for buyers)
- Problems with unauthorized gray channel imports
- Like McDonalds & KFC, then you’ll love “McFC”
- Who Owns the IP? Is it Safe to Buy From China?
- Supplier Validation/ Due Diligence/ RFQSupplier Validation - RFQ
3 Articles about Supplier Validation, Due Diligence & RFQ
8 Articles about Logistics in China
- Making use of 3PL Service Providers
- Getting samples sent to China (air direct vs. overland via Hong Kong)
- How does one actually return defective product back to China?
- Think first: import duties, taxes and costs of shipping
- Supplier Won’t Ship. Holding My Order Hostage.
- Drop Shipping From China
- Can I get compensation for a missed delivery?
- Where can I find out about import tax and duties?
- Quality AssuranceQuality Assurance
7 Articles about Quality Assurance in China
- QC: OK to be picky. But be professional.
- Don’t end up looking like an Ass in the year of the Horse
- Behind the scenes look at the recent QC recalls
- Returning Products to a Factory in China
- Why some buyers get good quality and others don’t
- How did scissors get inside this soft toy?!!!
- Protecting yourself through better Quality Control How to find a QC partner
- Project Management/ Vendor Coordination/ CommunicationsProject Management
10 Articles about Project Management, Vendor Coordination & Communications
- How to keep sourcing projects on schedule
- How to clarify specifications and avoid surprises?
- Gantt Charts
- Seconds from Sourcing Disaster
- Lessons from YiWu
- A remedy for ill communications
- How to keep sourcing projects moving forward
- Techniques to access the truth about your supplier
- What is the normal practice for requesting samples from manufacturers in China?
- A Good Practice…Summarize the Conversation.
6 Articles about Ethics in China
- Poor quality, Counterfeits, Bribery, Ethics…how bad is it really in China?
- How to source when there is a lack of trust and ethics
- Is China really a dangerous place to do business?
- “ya can’t truss it” – status of China sourcing ethics
- Less than 40% of goods sold online in China are authentic!
- Chinese don’t trust Made-in-China, why would you?
- Middlemen/Agents/ Consultants/Trading Companies/ BrokersMiddlemen & Agents
7 Articles about Middlemen,Agents, Consultants, Trading Companies & Brokers
- Are there local intermediaries in China who can work for us to find the best manufacturers?
- Avoiding Middlemen in China
- China Sourcing Success/Failure Factors
- Options for support with sourcing and supply chain management
- 3rd Party Support in China
- Problems arising from bad sourcing agents
- How to find and hire a sourcing agency. How not to get ripped off.
- Business FormationBusiness Formation
- Small Order IssuesSmall Order Issues
5 Articles about Small Order Issues
- Labor Rates
- Engineering Engineering in China
2 Articles about Engineering in China